RAWshop - Ross’ Alliteration Workshop

So close…

6 Likes

Many, many layers.
Much time.
Much excite.

TOMORROW

11 Likes

Do we have a travel bubble between aus/nz? I wanna be there for the demould.

Have you thought about heat curing it?

4 Likes

Not really, Al. Need an oven or to DIY a contraption to do so. Looking at it now, INEOS suggest 4Hr at 80C minimum or 1Hr/mm thickness so could be 10-12Hrs?

Will have a look and see what I think. I have a diy setup I used for melting plastic for vac forming that could possibly be repurposed. Tinfoil lined MDF panels and a polystyrene lid. Hmm. Not sure how accurate it would be on temp but maybe better than nothing. Hmm…

4 Likes

It’s hot there right? Clear plastic and some sticks. Make a little greenhouse and put that bitch outside. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Haha. Not that hot bro.
Forecast high of 16C today.
Mild at best.

3 Likes

Alright. Well maybe try fahrenheit? :rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

:joy:
Just quickly drop tested the layup and I got a few leaks to find tonight before it happens.
Lost 10inHg in 5mins :man_facepalming:

3 Likes

Would definitely consider jerry rigging that setup to make it work, any heat is gonna be better than none

3 Likes

Infusion done
Not convincing. A couple of lessons.
Fuck I hope it worked.
Progress image. During infusion

Dry spot a bit, but might miss the corner of the deck area :crossed_fingers:

Hard to tell if infusion is through all of the layers, it’s a deep stack of fabric. Gotta get the resin feed line secured better. Moved a bit and didn’t notice till it was too late :man_facepalming:

10 Likes

I can’t afford for these setbacks. :joy:

4 Likes

6 Likes

Post cure oven.
Bahahaha
image image image image

8 Likes

How does the weight feel dude?

3 Likes

Heavy.
But hard to tell cos it isn’t cut out yet so lots of area to be removed.
The dry area is not great. Needs resin injected or soaked into it in another infusion or something. It looks a bit risky. It’s sort of below front toes and kinda near to the shoulder / neck of the board ??? Dunno how bad yet. Soft on top which seems bad.
Will heat cure and assess.
Probably try and reinfuse that area somehow. Maybe drill some small holes. Then if it’s looking suss maybe skin top and bottom with extra layers to stiffen the fucker up.

3 Likes

Dry fabric

Have had advice, from people with actual experience doing infusion and not too worried. I’m gonna reinfuse to repair. Just need to sort my vac bag leaks so it has a better air seal. This week.
The solid parts of it look strong as :muscle:

8 Likes

You did good kid. :clap: Make sure you soak your thumb in cider, looks painful.

3 Likes

Reinfusion done :ok_hand:

Post cure in the ‘oven’ again :joy:
Maybe rough cut it this weekend, angle grinder or a million hacksaw blades or scroll saw. :thinking:

14 Likes

Damn that is a fat ass ring dude.

Do you think the re-infusion went well?

Love the cross section view, would love to see more sections when you make the cuts :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Epic effort bro, can’t wait to see it complete!

3 Likes

Haha cheers bro.
Ring made by my mate Welfe who is a jeweller. Awesome designer and makes cool stuff.

The reinfusion went really well. :blush:

Yeah the wavecamber kinda thing seems pretty good. Concave is feeling super deep and could maybe be too much. Will see. If it’s too deep I can add more w along each footpocket to shallow it out a bit.

Last infusion I used 0.5mm clear plastic table cover from fabric store as my vac bag and it was awesome. Bagged over top of mould and below it also. Double bag and Got a really good seal. :ok_hand:

3 Likes