RAWshop - Ross’ Alliteration Workshop

My man :facepunch:

2 Likes

6 Likes

Am i seeing what i think i’m seeing? :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Electric planer and belt sander time!
Orbital and hand sanding next, then a bit off the edges for some concave and slight, slight w.
Gonna try keep it subtle so it doesn’t fuck up foot positions with bindings.

4 Likes

Exxxxcellent. Do i see split angles?

I stood on a ramm mtb deck the other day… I do not like the way the camber pushes your feet outwards into the tip angle. There’s not enough flat in it.

Its hard to tell from these pics, but looks like yours may have a little more flat standing area which i believe is better.

Nice to see you making dust!

2 Likes

Yeah I’m doing split angles, 35/30 and flat foot areas and some camber in the middle (about 20mm). Standing platform is about 32” end to end

4 Likes

Ergh, you always have the most exciting projects. Keen to see it progress :ok_hand:

2 Likes

Bit of sanding today and made come subtle concave at footbeds. Tried to avoid complex curves so I can also try make decks on this using veneer.
The shape is pretty gentle, and maybe not enough but I’m gonna leave it at that and adjust later if more required. (Learnt that lesson)

Gonna form some small w in middle of footbeds next and then a bit of hand sanding to smooth it out a bit. Maybe a rough paint and sand but needs a proper fill and paint later.

Have been considering a plan for integrating phase or esc wiring in the deck somehow. To be decided. Should probably chill out and keep it simple, stupid :joy:

3 Likes

Integrating wires comes at the risk of the wires being damaged and needing to be fixed… and it’s not exactly a fun job :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Just got caught up this, I love following your work!!! I need to start coming back here. It’s cozy.

3 Likes

Yup, I remember your MADNESS! :joy:

Yeah I’m not planning on integrating wires, but considering incorporating some type of wire path. Like conduits, between the end and middle of the deck.

Also, if I make the deck using resin infusion, I need to be able to install whatever I do before that during the layup and actual wires seems too hard and risky.

I’m thinking, form the cavity inside the deck and drill out ends afterwards, so I can install wires afterwards. That way it could be possible to replace wires if / when they fuck out. Hmm.

2 Likes

Well, who knows how it’s gonna feel but I think the shaping is pretty much there.

6 Likes

Primed, sanded and an epoxy coat. Some parts are nice but others not ideal, with a few areas of orange peel so need to sand back and try again.

4 Likes

Sanded and cleaned with isopropyl.
Didn’t clean with that last time cos I was being lazy and didn’t think I needed to. Stupid. :man_facepalming:
Round 2 looking better :call_me_hand:

4 Likes

Shiny! I love iso.

So you vacuum infusing on top of that mold?

2 Likes

Yup, I’ll try to do an infusion deck first and then gonna try wood veneer & carbon or fibreglass (vacuum press) for the next experiment.

Still undecided on my plan for enclosure, that will have to wait.

1 Like

Fuck it’s sooo smooth. Have never had an epoxy finish this smooth. Has an annoying amount of small dust particles in it but apart from that it’s fucken ridiculous :exploding_head:

+2hr sanding, with 800 grit wet and dry, mould release wax coat no1 has gone on :beers:

5 Likes

Looking crisp! What release wax are you using?

TR108 I think it is.
Last bit left in the tin. Seems to work ok.

Might try the honey wax you recommended next. This one doesn’t smell the best.

1 Like

Hmm maybe I can do some cut/paste for an enclosure. :joy:

Could be a challenge to fit it all in there tho. Hmm.

5 Likes