RAWshop - Ross’ Alliteration Workshop

The timber will naturally suck in paint and cause shitty coverage on the first pass.

Just be careful when sanding not to expose too much of the timber or you will likely get similar results on your second pass

1 Like

Forgot how awesome this primer is :rofl:
Sanded a bit w 120grit and it cleaned up really well. Marked it up and filled last bits. Repeat tomorrow and it should be looking smooth.imageimage image image

4 Likes

Another stunning day.
Painted buck with second coat of primer
Beer time.

2 Likes

Flat sanded, 120grit.
24hr curing time? psssshhhh. :joy:

4 Likes

Do you go finer than 120? I always sand to 400. Sometimes 800

1 Like

On the last one I sanded the buck to 800 maybe 1000…? Can’t remember. It turned out like shiny plastic. Will do same again. Maybe 800?

This is only the third enclosure I have made.

The Prestec 2093 polyester primer sands so well. Product info says you don’t even need to mould release it, because it’s impervious to moisture. Will do anyway just in case

Getting nervy about the size tho. My 70mm (minimum) segments have rounded corners so lost space because of it. :man_facepalming: Cells not likely so sit hard down into them because of that. Will see how it works out…

You may just need to use 18650s or a fatass gasket :rofl:

1 Like

7 Likes

Does that wax smell good? I use honey wax, it smells awesome :rofl:

1 Like

Smells like shit. Heaps of VOCs.
Nasty. Outside only. Might have a look for honey wax for next time, think this stuff works well but the smell and nastys are not ideal. Gloves, mask.

1 Like

That buck is a beauty in itself. With all the pain you’re putting yourself in, you’ll be making a few enclosures with it?

1 Like

Haha cheers bro. Dunno, I’m a sucker for punishment. Will see how it goes after the first one. If it goes well, maybe I’ll make a few. I’m getting a bit nervous about the segment size, after Al jinxed it. :rofl:

It’s my second Hummie enclosure.
First buck was pretty good too, just a bit tight in a few spots and had some issues cos of that. Might try again on that one at some stage, maybe pull a new mould off the buck.
Made three enclosures off that, and still have two in the garage which aren’t perfect (small defects) that I haven’t even cut out from the layup :rofl:

3 Likes

I might have to figure out one day how badly screwed id get to have you make and ship me one

3 Likes

Haha cheers @Flasher I’ll get a few more completed first - busy learning. Shipping from NZ is probably pretty punishing too!

2 Likes

We fell from the same tree.

1 Like

Three weeks later…

8 Likes

That looks slick as shit. Well done you.

Now, why is the kid’s playhouse black? Easier demon summoning?

1 Like

Works better for the sacrifices to Skatan.

1 Like

2 Likes

Shit. Epoxy tacked way faster than expected. Thought I had another hour or so.
Bit of a mad rush to cut the fabric and get it on! Didn’t go too well, had to cut mat in recesses and use another cloth layer as relief…
:crossed_fingers:

1 Like