RAWshop - Ross’ Alliteration Workshop

Remember that because this is just the mold, you can go ham in between those segments. Fill the fuckers up if you have to

1 Like

Yeah will do on next layers.
After that? I am resigned to the fact I might be repriming the mould and sanding it again. :man_facepalming: :rofl:

1 Like

Lol yeah i know all about that one :rofl:

Once you have it off the buck, go around it meticulously tapping it with a wooden stick. You will be able to hear the bubbles. Break the bubbles out, fill with thickened resin, sand, repeat… sometimes 3-4 times :man_facepalming::man_facepalming::man_facepalming:

Or if you suspect it is really bad, just make a new mold :rofl:

1 Like

If it’s that bad I’m gonna buy more plastic and try vac form it for another mould. Easy peasy last time.

1 Like

failure - success
a battle unfortunately

I won the war. The mould survived.
The buck, not so much. :rofl:

11 Likes

Duuude it looks so fucking good.

Gonna be a fair effort to lay it up tho!

3 Likes

Drill very small holes, lay up and vacuum?

1 Like

Plan I think is gelcoat, let it tack, apply cloth fabric, let it cure, then wet layup of maybe 3 or 4 FG layers for strength, in a vac bag with plenty of pleats and very stretchy bag fabric so it can pull tight into all of the segments. Oh and Peel ply and breather fabric loosely laid with lots of relief cuts before going in the bag. Simple.

2 Likes

Interesting idea :thinking:
Risky though, might end up with another epoxy part stuck tho I think?

1 Like

possible. im saying this with my woodworker background. we drill very small holes in every area we feel will leave air trapped when we need to create plaster copies for mouldings and decorative objects. done it with wood glue and plaster but havent done any with epoxies. holes however dont have to be significant. theyre only to ensure air passes.

1mm diameter?

we do 2mm. but im not sure epoxy would allow alot of air flow

1 Like

If it’s under 25inches of vacuum pressure I expect it will.

One small pinhole in corner of each segment could help with getting the bag to stretch tightly into those corners.

Definitely a plan for later tho. Will see how I go with other methods first. Drilling my new mould fills me with dread, given the time it’s cost me so far :skull:

2 Likes

Yeah i couldnt do that :rofl:

1 Like

That was my issue first time using a vacuum bag for veneers. I found having an extra person (depending on the size of your bag) To hold the far side of the bag tight while vacuum is being built up.

So almost like folding a big sheet/blanket with another person, you both hold each corner as far from each other before you fold. I found that it made it alot easier for the bag to form over what i was working on.

1 Like

Forming fibreglass flange

2 Likes

:rofl: that mold :rofl:

I can’t figure out what is happening in that bottom picture tho :thinking:

1 Like

[drunker than usual] Mould flipped on curved mdf over plastic underlay with fabric laid into tacky epoxy on underside of mould. Epoxy cure then layup. Time poor. Mother in law in town :rofl:

1 Like

Whats the plastic for?

Plastic layer over the mdf under layup to give a smooth finish to epoxy flange surface. Instead of your signwriters vinyl. Glad wrap over the cloth Cos I ran out of gloves. Haha

1 Like