The "Talk me out of this" thread

You’re not helping.

4 Likes

That’s his idea…

4 Likes

No. Buy jaykay trucks

I think they look fantastic tbh

6 Likes

This can go two ways, I’m either going to be really happy or really disappointed. :no_mouth:

Going in with the right expectations might be key. I’m not expecting a powerhouse, but still want “enough” acceleration and braking.

Difficult decision when similar money can get me most of the way to a RedEmber 44 Stooge board.

8 Likes

Are you buying it because the tech is amazing (fair) or because you see a need for it in your esk8 garage?

4 Likes

A bit of both TBH. It would make an excellent commuter on my train station run or as a grocery getter, and the tech is amazing. Kinda hard to justify a need for it though.

5 Likes

I’m really tempted to buy a ubox, althogh i don’t need it.

I just finished my 2nd mountainboard and went on a few rides already. It uses a flipshit dual 6.6 (the big one, hopefully reliable) currently pushing 80 motoramps on MT6374s. Also there is a 12s6p 30q pack in there.

I have no intention of going higher voltage any time soon but it would be nice to have some headroom xD
The price of the ubox is even better than the flipsky vesc… damn it
I’m wondering if the ubox is reliable at just 12s but high currents. I’ve heard of some people that had cutouts when pushing high power numbers.

But the board runs perfecly fine atm and I’ve spent so much money on esk8 recently…

6 Likes

I’d only be worried these would end up in the bin after the 1-2 year parts guarantee runs out.

7 Likes

The ubox is a beta product, still in testing. I’d suggest you take that into consideration when you consider purchasing.

First rule of esk8: “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it”.

Try scooping up a used Unity on the f’rms for near the price of the ubox if you’re set on replacing the flipshit.

5 Likes

This is the correct answer, thank you.

6 Likes

Why? I’m sure you’d be able to buy replacement parts even after warranty?

4 Likes

:joy:

Think about the track record of other recent new best thing Esk8 companies…

5 Likes

Let me qualify that some more:

1. Germany sucks for esk8ers
  2. JayKay has a unique stealth product offering
  3. It would not surprise me if they designed to point 1
  4. Having a captive market means despite pricing, they’ll remain in business
  5. Remaining in business means I can get support

How’s that for perspective?

4 Likes

I hope so, right now you can only get sleeves.

I can imagine replacing everything except the aluminum housings themselves through normal wear and tear. How often are you willing to shell out most of $900/truck for replacement parts?

5 Likes

Through the online shop, servicing will be different.

This is an unknown quantity. One can safely assume it’s at least designed to see through the warranty period, because JayKay wouldn’t want to be replacing components at their cost.

3 Likes

are you supposed to counterpont the people trying to talk you out of it? :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

Haha. We’re here to try and talk you out of it bro. You’re not making it easy for us. :joy:

7 Likes

This would go smoother if you could back me into a corner with logical points.

FWIW I come from a family of lively debate, so be warned I’m not a pushover.

3 Likes

you don’t need this.
you can buy so much more joy with that money some other way.
you don’t even have the disposable income to blow on this.

:gun: :dark_sunglasses:

5 Likes

you’ll shoot off your weiner

5 Likes